Thursday, January 6, 2011

Picture book favorites

Recently, I read an article about how picture books sales are down these days.  I was very surprised and later on read an article refuting the previous article.  But whatever the case may be, here we love picture books and on any given day there are always children and adults engrosed in one picture book or another.  So,  I figured I'd write a post on a few of our favorite.  We love books with beautiful illustrations, preferably with lots of details that they could study again and again.
Franklin the turtle series by Paulette Bourgeois and Brenda Clark - Here is a Canadian picture book series which I discovered when my oldest was a toddler.  It has wholesome, simple stories that relate to scenarios from a child's experience, it teaches good middos, it has beautiful, bright, detailed illustrations.  These are very sweet books, a pleasure for children and parents. I am talking about the original series not a later far inferior TV knock off.  We love these books here.
My kids love all the Gadi Pollack illustrated parable series and all the Rabbi Baruch Chait middos series and other big illustrated books.  these are not only interesting to look at but contain quite a lot of information and teach good lessons.
The Water Hole by Graeme Base  - a beautifully illustrated book, very cleverly done, a witty counting book with an I spy element and touches on geography as well.
Roxaboxen by Alice Mclerran and illustrated by Barbara Cooney, a nice story about imaginative play, with lovely illustrations.
They love I spy and Can you see what I see books.
Blueberries for Sal and Make way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey
Frog and Toad series and Uncle Elephant by Arnold Lobel
James Herriot Treasury for Children
 Artscroll Children's Megillah and Artscroll Children's Hagaddah with illustrations by Tova Katz.
Michoel Muchnik books
Shabbos is Coming by Ruth Lipson
Yossi and Laibel books by Dina Rosenfeld
The Mimi and Simi books by Yaffa Ganz
Then I Got Three Scoops by Getzel
Maria Rius science picture books
Look A Snowflake by Janet Craig
Random House Picturebacks by Judy Dunn about rabbits, kittens, puppies
Richard Scarry books- Cars and Trucks and Things that Go, Tinker and Tanker, The Best Word Book Ever
These are just off the top of my head and what I see scattered around the living room.  They like looking at art books, beautiful landscapes, animal pictures, various illustrated word books, interior design books, craft books and gardening books among others.  I wrote about some more books in my science posts. I think picture books are a very important part of childhood and education and forming the child's worldview.  I can't imagine why picture book sales should be down.  Even with the internet, it can't replace the old fashioned technology and the enjoyment children derive from picture books.

0 comments:

Post a Comment